Work- and Stay permits and visas

Navigating Indonesia’s Visa and Permit System

  • Visas In Indonesia


Visa, officially known as the Visa of the Republic of Indonesia, is a written statement issued by an authorized official either manually or electronically. It grants permission to travel into Indonesian Territory and can serve as the basis for obtaining a stay permit. According to the law, every foreign citizen entering Indonesian Territory is required to possess a legal and valid Visa, unless exempted by local and international agreements

Diplomatic visas are granted to foreigners holding diplomatic passports and other passports, along with their family members. These visas allow entry into Indonesian territory for the purpose of carrying out diplomatic duties. The issuance of diplomatic visas is based on international agreements, conventions, reciprocity, and courtesy.

Service visas are granted to foreigners holding official/service passports and other passports, including their family members. These visas enable entry into Indonesian territory for non-diplomatic official duties performed on behalf of their government or international organization The Minister of Foreign Affairs has the authority to grant diplomatic and service visas, which are issued by foreign service officials at the Representative of the Republic of Indonesia

Temporary stay visas are divided into two categories.  

  • Granted a temporary stay to reside in Indonesian for a limited period, to convert to an ITAS 
    The first category includes workers, investors experts, spiritualists, researchers, students,  individuals seeking second homes (new!), and their families, as well as foreign citizens legally married to Indonesian citizens. The following categories are defined, and all get the temporary stay permit (ITAS), when applied for and as soon as they enter Indonesia: 
  1. Working visa , expert visa, spiritualist with Index C312 
  2. Investor visa for one year with Index C313
  3. Investor visa for two years with Index C 314
  4. Attend training and carry out research in the region Indonesia with Index C315
  5. Student visa with Index C316
  6. Dependents (of other visa Index holders or married to an Indonesian with index C317)
  7. Returning ex Indonesian (repatriates) with Index C318
  8. Retirement visas with Index C319 
  • Crew members and alike 
    The second category encompasses foreigners joining ships, floating equipment, or installations operating in Indonesian waters, including the archipelagic waters, territorial sea, continental shelf, and Indonesian Exclusive Economic Zone. 

Visitor visas are granted to foreigners traveling to Indonesian territory for various purposes, including government visits, education, socio-cultural activities, tourism, pre-investment, business, family visits, journalism, or as a stopover on their way to other countries. 
Additionally, visitor visas can be granted to citizens of certain countries upon arrival at immigration checkpoints, as determined by the regulation of the Minister of Law and Human Rights. 
Visitor visas are categorized into three types: single entry visas, multiple entry visas, and visa on arrival (VOA). 

  • Single Entry Visa: (Visa index no. B211A) 
    This visa allows foreigners to stay in Indonesia for a maximum period of 60 days ( can be extended twice so good for 180 days) depending on the purpose of their visit. It covers various purposes such as tourism, family visits, business, art and culture, and more  
  • Multiple Entry Visa: (Visa index D212) 
    This visa has a validity period of 5 years and permits stays of up to 60 days or 180 days. It is intended for government, pre-investment, business, and family purposes. Momentarily only possible when entering Batam airport.  
  • Visa on Arrival (VOA): (Visa Index B213) 
    VOAs are granted to foreigners, citizens of other countries, governments of special administrative regions, and certain entities. They allow a maximum stay of 30 days in Indonesia. It can be extended one time with 30 days.  
  • Working in Indonesia

(Rencana Penggunaan Tenaga Kerja Asing)

RPTKA is a work permit issued by the Indonesian Ministry of Manpower. It is required for foreign nationals intending to work in Indonesia for more extended periods, typically beyond six months. To obtain an RPTKA, the employing company in Indonesia must first obtain a Manpower Utilization Plan (RPTKA) approval from the Ministry of Manpower. This permit outlines the company’s need for foreign workers and specifies the number of foreign employees allowed.

  • Limited Stay Permit

(Izin Tinggal Terbatas)

ITAS, or Limited Stay Permit, is a document issued by the Indonesian Immigration Directorate General. It enables foreign nationals to legally reside and work in Indonesia for a specific period, usually up to one year. The ITAS is usually sponsored by the employing company and is linked to the RPTKA. Applicants must provide necessary documents, including a valid passport, health insurance, and proof of employment.

  • Permanent Stay Permit

(Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap)

KITAP, or Permanent Stay Permit, is a long-term residence permit that grants foreign nationals the right to live and work in Indonesia without the need for further visa extensions. KITAP holders can stay in Indonesia indefinitely and enjoy many benefits, including the ability to own property and access social security schemes. To be eligible for a KITAP, individuals must have held an ITAS for a certain period, typically five years, and meet specific requirements set by the Indonesian government.

  • Exit and re-entering Indonesia

(Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit)

MERP is a permit that allows KITAP holders to exit and re-enter Indonesia multiple times without the need for a separate visa. It simplifies travel arrangements for KITAP holders who frequently travel abroad for business or personal reasons. The MERP is issued by the Indonesian Immigration Directorate General and must be obtained before traveling outside Indonesia.


Navigating the visa and permit system in Indonesia is crucial for individuals seeking work and stay opportunities in the country. E-visas provide short-term stays, while RPTKA and ITAS enable foreign nationals to work and live in Indonesia for more extended periods. KITAP offers a permanent stay solution, while the MERP facilitates hassle-free travel for KITAP holders. Understanding the requirements and procedures associated with each permit is essential to ensure compliance with Indonesian immigration regulations and make the most of the employment opportunities in this dynamic nation.

We Help Our Clients’ Navigate Indonesia’s Red-Tape Culture.

Curabitur ac leo nunc. Vestibulum et mauris vel ante finibus maximus nec ut leo. Integer consectetur luctus dui id convallis. Sed pellentesque erat non eu auctor tortor, sit amet egestas purus.
Curabitur ac leo nunc. Vestibulum et mauris vel ante finibus maximus nec ut leo. Integer consectetur luctus dui id convallis. Sed pellentesque erat non eu auctor tortor, sit amet egestas purus.
Curabitur ac leo nunc. Vestibulum et mauris vel ante finibus maximus nec ut leo. Integer consectetur luctus dui id convallis. Sed pellentesque erat non eu auctor tortor, sit amet egestas purus.
New Marketing Leaders

Let’s Make Things Happen

“The team at TPH is great. They helped us unlock our potential online and offline. We have experienced year on year growth due to their progressive approach.”

George Anderson

Digitalbox CEO

The Permit House
A Boutique consulting firm

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted